Friday 17 March 2023

Spring Dahlias with Polkadoodles

Hello everyone Happy Friday...I hope that your week has gone well and you are looking forward to a lovely weekend.  

We are well into the start of celebrations here on the run up to Easter, there is lots of activity going on in the local church in preparation and loads of rockets being fired into the sky (these are said to represent  the prayers being sent to God - its a real Marmite issue here - either love it or hate it) 

Personally I love it and we knew all about the rockets before we decided to move here, its amazing how many people didn't seem to do their research first though and constantly complain on social media.

But first there is a celebration next Thursday when the statue of Christ is lowered from the alter... its called Cristo de la Expiración 

The Festival of the Holy Christ of the Expiration of Órgiva  celebrated on the Friday before Friday of Dolores, that is, two Fridays before Good Friday.  The Christ of the Expiration is patron saint of the Alpujarra and also the co-patron saint of our town of Órgiva.

On Thursday at 12 noon, the statue of Christ is lowered from behind the alter, one of the most emotional moments for the people of Órgiva  ...this is accompanied by the loudest rockets you will ever hear, the main street is closed off and the crowds have to stand well back or crowd into the local bars to watch and listen as the bangers sound, there are stories of windows being shattered by the explosions.

Then on Friday at 6pm a procession leaves the church, travelling very slowly through the narrow streets up to a small Hermita at the top of the town and then back to the main church, this procession ends around 2 in the morning with fireworks!  It's definitely a special thing to watch and is very moving even if you aren't religious.

I'm back today to share a beautiful Spring card that I've made with the pre-coloured  Dahlia Flower 1 digital download from Polkadoodles

The digital set includes 2 digital stamps, 1 line art and one is pre-coloured, 2 matching sentiments and 3 coordinating papers in the Polkadoodles store 

I wanted to create a DL (UK size) Frame style card - there are lots of stamps and dies on the market that you can use to achieve this but I decided to create my own and do a little fussy cutting.

I started by adding multiple copies of the Dahlia flower image around the edge of a panel on my computer in my graphics software and then printed this out before cutting out the centre of the panel.  

Next I printed a piece of the striped paper from the kit, cutting this to fit my DL card and positioned my alphabet dies in the centre of this - I chose to user Easter as my text but this would be perfect for a Mothers Day card of Easter card too, or even just personalised.

It's quite difficult to see, but this is also an Eclipse card, you cut the letters out and then raise them up on extra layers of card for dimension. Definitely better seen in real life as they say.

Once the letters have been adhered back into the card I have added my dahlia frame to the panel and added just a few contrasting sequins added around the design.

I hope that you like my card today and you'll enjoy the next cards I share from this lovely new collection by Polkadoodles.


Hasta luego 👋 


Enjoy the rest of your day !


Card recipe:
Polkadoodles digital stamp, sentiment & papers - Dahlia Flower 1
Crafters Companion Diesire 1" alphabet dies
Sugar and Spice Sequins - candy floss



Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog I would love if you could leave me a comment. 

Wendy x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment it’s much appreciated.

Wendy x